WHS Senior Honored for Volunteerism

Taken October 9th, 2016. Carolyn Bedell in front of Lilly Weston House, on Center Ridge Rd by the entrance of the Westlake Recreation Center.

Carolyn Bedell, Writer

Westlake High School senior Carolyn Bedell was named one of the top runners-up in The 2018 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards in Ohio.

The Spirit of Community Awards is a nationwide program honoring young people for outstanding acts of volunteerism. Carolyn is one of eight Distinguished Finalists in Ohio.

Carolyn joined the Lilly Weston committee, a subcommittee of the Westlake Historical Society, to help preserve the pre-Civil War sandstone farmhouse in Westlake and promote efforts to turn it into a museum. She organized two community events, created social media sites for the committee and built a website – www.lillyweston.com. (Temporarily at lillywestoncommittee.squarespace.com.) Her efforts helped the group raise $5,000 and double their membership. She also worked with the committee and Westlake City Hall to submit a Capital bill grant request for $291,000 to fund restoration efforts and turn the home into a museum.

Based on her 154 volunteer hours, Carolyn also qualified for the President’s Volunteer Service Award. This award recognizes Americans of all ages who volunteer significant amounts of time to serve their communities and their country.

The Lily Weston Committee and WHS Principal Paul Wilson nominated Carolyn for the award. She will receive an engraved bronze Distinguished Finalist medallion.

The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards is conducted by Prudential Financial in partnership with the National Association of Secondary School Principals.

Original article can be found at https://www.wlake.org/.