Bridget Quinn: On My High School Experience

Megan Stewart, Co-Editor in Chief

What are your hopes for the future?

“I hope to graduate, go to a college, and pursue my dreams and find a job, but I haven’t discovered my passion yet.”

What are you interested in?

“I like history, but I don’t think it’s applicable to me. I like art, but I don’t want to be a starving artist. I’m interested in genetics and biology; they pave the way for the future.”

What extracurriculars did you do throughout high school?

“I’m in National Art Honors Society, NHS, now the Museum ambassador, and Leadership Challenge. I was in Key Club.”

What was your favorite class?

“Art. Mr. Wilson has helped me grow as a person and get good in art. I really enjoy Biology. Mr. Cuomo is a really down to earth, no nonsense guy who knows how to have fun and make a class interesting. He makes me feel like I’m in a college class.”

What art projects do you like?

“I’m in ceramics right now, I just recently made a slab pot. I like drawing and working on shading techniques. I like dramatic contrast. I like painting, but it’s hard. Learning how to incorporate shapes in painting is hard. But I like oil pastel and chalk pastel.”

What are your aspirations for this swim season?

“I was injured last year. But I’m back in the saddle and working really hard to get back to where I was so I can help my team because we’re just a big family who wants to do well. I’m going to put my best foot forward for them.”

What are some fond memories of swimming?

“Singing ‘Living on a Prayer’ while we’re halfway through a set and falling in the pool. I love seeing people cheer for me in a 500. I work hard for the well-being of the team, despite being called a ‘try-hard.’ Respect the game even if the game tries to beat you down.”

As a leader, what is your advice to underclassmen?

“If people decide to look up to me, my best advice is to be who you are. People are going to drag you down for being different, but always stay true to yourself. In my Freshmen year, I faced some people who were mean to me. But the kids here at WHS are generally really great people. If you’re kind to someone, they’ll be kind to you. Set a good example; everyone deserves to be the best they can be. People need to learn to not try to hurt each other, but make each other better because we want progress in the world.”

Any other reflections on your high school career?

“I had a really good high school experience. I’ve had some great teachers. And some not-so-great teachers, but they’re usually good people. I’ve made great friends who stay by my side. My freshman year, going into a WHS, it seemed so hard to go to such a big place. But as I’m leaving, I notice it all seems so small. And I can’t believe it’s already been four years. I’ve learned so much and moved forward. Underclassmen: be you; don’t try to be anyone else; aspire to change the world or someone else’s life. I used to be shy. Now I’m talkative and crazy. And I don’t mind if people think I’m weird or out-there. We’ve got such a great school. Take pride in it.”

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Bridget Quinn: On My High School Experience”

1. Nancy on November 10th, 2017 9:28 am

U Rock!

[Reply]

2. Jared on November 10th, 2017 9:39 am

You’re awesome bridge, keep up the good work

[Reply]

3. Valerie on November 10th, 2017 10:04 am

What a great article and what great leadership and team player qualities Bridget shows. With those, there is no reason she shouldn’t get her aspirations and direction. Great all rounder and wonderful self awareness in such a young person

[Reply]

4. Francis Quinn on November 10th, 2017 10:05 am

Very well written article about my daughter, I hope she goes far in this world… Be a trailblazer !!!!

[Reply]

5. Noreen Treacy on November 10th, 2017 10:37 am

Great article. Sounds like Ms Quinn really grew throughout her HS years and can look forward to a bright and amazing future!

[Reply]

6. Mary Davern on November 10th, 2017 11:10 am

Sounds like you made the most of your time at WHS. It’s all about attitude. As far as finding your passion, it sounds like you have many you could pursue. Enjoy the journey!

[Reply]

7. Brendan Carr on November 10th, 2017 12:05 pm

Bridget, I really enjoy the maturity of your responses that speaks to the wisdom you have gained in your years at Westlake High. Good Luck in All your future endeavors!!!!!!

[Reply]

8. Mary Quinn on November 10th, 2017 2:37 pm

Bridget.

I’m very proud of you. That was excellent reading

Love you

[Reply]

9. Jared on November 10th, 2017 5:57 pm

Great job

[Reply]

10. Megan Armbruster on November 11th, 2017 7:28 pm

Truly inspirational!!! Wise beyond her years by far.

[Reply]

11. Nikki Custy on November 12th, 2017 8:16 am

Way to go Bridget! You are a hard worker and beautiful person inside and out. I have enjoyed your amazing artistic abilities over the years – whether reading your stories and essays, viewing your incredible drawings and paintings, or listening to your talents on piano and vocals. I know you will be a success no matter what you do. Any college will be lucky to have you and your many gifts (academic, athletic, artistic) as a part of their community. Good luck this year and I look forward to seeing where your journey takes you.

[Reply]

12. Pat Armbruster on November 12th, 2017 3:11 pm

Great advice about being yourself. You, Bridget will make a difference in the world because of the way you treat people. I can’t wait to see what you decide to do with your life. One thing I do know is that you will bring kindness to those you meet.

[Reply]

13. Patrick on November 13th, 2017 4:15 am

Zero doubt in my mind destined for great things. Finding out what that is takes time, Congrats!

[Reply]

14. Christine Costello on November 14th, 2017 8:56 am

Inspirational words for your underclassmen and women. You sound like you started out a shy and somewhat insecure girl and have blossomed into a strong and beautiful woman. Good for you and much happiness in your college and future years.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Bridget Quinn: On My High School Experience

Features

Senior Feature with Patrick Lee

Features

Getting to Know Mr. Fudale

Dear Readers

Getting to Know WHS’s String Instrumentalists

Features

Meet Matt Beaver

Clubs

Join the EcoWarriors

Creative Writing

Unraveling Strings: Four Places of Comfort

Clubs

Learn More About the Sock Drive…and How to Help Out!

Entertainment

5 Movie To Watch This Christmas

Features

Senior Feature with Patrick Lee

Features

Getting to Know Mr. Fudale